Saturday, February 18, 2012

No Cook super easy Key Lime Pie Tarts (NOT GFCF)

Disclaimer: So this recipe is NOT gluten free and definitely NOT dairy free so I know it is the opposite of what should be on this blog, but please forgive me and if you are looking for gluten free skip this recipe! My husband really wanted key lime pie today and said some neighbors would love the recipe so I am putting it up for any of them who may enjoy it! I am sure I could figure out some substitutes but I am positive it would be far from the original recipe.





SUPER EASY KEY LIME PIE TARTS:

I learned to make this while waiting tables at a gourmet restaurant and it was part of my side work to make the pies. I will not name the restaurant but they had me make pies for $2/hour for a year of my life so I am not feeling guilty about sharing how I made those pies at all :)


Ingredients:
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup key lime juice (approx 16 key limes)
mini graham  cracker crust (2packs) (I prefer the mini ones which is what we used in the restaurant and they were "key lime tarts" but our local dollar general store only had full pie crusts* so that is what I used)
1 spray can of whipped cream

*This makes more key lime batter than 1 crust worth but not enough for 2 so you can use 1.5 cans of sweetened condensed milk and juice from approx 12 key limes for one pie). Also with a large pie crust batter may be a little runny even after a few hours in the fridge. We do not mind it being a little runny but if you do it can be easily fixed. Just add a couple tablespoons  of cornstarch (when stirring the batter) if you want your pie to not be to runny.

Directions:
1. Put most but not all of the keylime juice (about 1/2 cup) and sweetened condensed milk (1.5 cans) in a bowl stir or whisk until juice thickens milk (about a minute). There should be no liquid and it should be the consistency of yogurt. Careful not to over stir and don't use an electric beater because it will over stir the batter. 
2. Taste  if too sour put more sweetened condensed milk, if too sweet add key lime juice and stir more to mix into the batter (This is necessary because every key lime is different in tartness so you HAVE to taste it every time you make it and adjust until the right balance)
3. Pour batter into mini pie crust and leave a little space for whip cream (but DO NOT put it on yet)
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let it get firm. Since I made a large pie I use the plastic that came with the crust for a cover (flipped upside down-see photo)
5. Put whip cream on each tart as it is served and enjoy

I made this for my husband before we were married (and after). He thought I was some kind of GREAT chef. When I showed him how I made it (after the wedding) he couldn't believe that was it and I didn't even cook it. He quickly learned that I had a lot to learn about cooking that involved actually using an oven! I have come a long way since then :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment