Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chocolate muffins or cupcakes: Protien rich breakfast and treat!


Today I stumbled upon a can of garbanzo beans and got really excited!! (I am in need of a grocery trip) I was excited because I thought we were out. I have been really wanting to make some muffins. If you are just starting Gluten Free Dairy Free cooking you may have found there are PLENTY of recipes out there on the world wide web. If you have started trying to make them you (like me) have probably figured out a good percentage of them don't turn out very tasty. I was starting to become convinced gluten free people may have gained their health back, but lost there taste buds!
So my promise to you as a gluten free mommy blogger is every recipe I publish has been made in my kitchen. Also by me and my kids standards it tastes good (not just edible!). I will not garauntee they are healthy, they probably do not have a low glycimic index, and they may not be fully balanced (but can be if you add fruits, veggies etc). I only claim they taste good. Good enough that my kids will ask for more!

Another wonderful appliance I have gotten my money's worth from since going gluten free is my food processor which you will need for this recipe. I use it several times a week. It is 10 cup "Better Homes and Garden" brand.

The muffins/cupcakes are modified from a recipe on all recipes linked here 


I do not follow the recipe exactly as I use a little extra on the chocolate chips, I add a teaspoon of vanilla and extra sugar :)

So my recipe is this:
 In food processor I dump:

1 can drained garbanzo beans
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of sugar
4 eggs

In a ramekin I microwave :
2 cups of chocolate chips - 30 secs then stir, then microwave 10 sec and stir until all chocolate is melted.
***Careful to not burn the chocolate or your muffins will taste like burnt chocolate which taste BAD!! If you want to be a little cautious you can start with 10 seconds at a time microwaving**

Pour melted chocolate in processor and process until well blended. I let it sit and rest about 5 minutes after processing to let eggs deflate. Then I use a large spoon and fill my cupcake liners about 3/4 full and cook at 350 for 25 minutes. I always check with a toothpick that they are done. Also I have deflated the middle by opening the oven.

Also today to try and get maximum height I slowly increased the oven temp as the cupcakes grew. I started it at 330 and everytime it reached temp I increased it 5 degrees. This way the fire (we have gas) never turned off. When they finished the temp way 360. This was just an experiment and it worked (don't ask me why it may just be a coincidence). I got the tallest cupcakes I have made yet with this recipe. They did shrink a bit when cooling but it is better than normal. Normally they fall a little in the center. These were flat and some actually a little round. Yay! I better go take a picture before they are all eaten up!

I love this recipe because it is so protein rich. It makes a great quick easy breakfast. Also I love having leftovers to help avoid cooking for a meal or two!




Please take a moment to answer in the comments (and add any comments on the post of course!)

What is your favorite breakfast food and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment